Saturday 21 April 2012

Techniques: Pyrography

While looking at ways I could develop my final outcome, I found a technique called Pyrography. 

'Pyrography is the art of decorating wood or other surfaces with burn marks, resulting from the controlled application of a heated object. Such object known as 'poker', this technique is also known as Pokerwood or Wood burning.'








This technique will allow me to burn my illustrations directly onto wood or leather. So as I originally thought of laying out multiple sized canvases in a formation and illustrating onto them to create a canvas collage piece (tester--->), I'm going to look into making wooden boxes to carry out the same purpose, but using pyrography instead.







I was also considering mixed media in the process, so where I have burned in the intricate detail, I will apply colour using some sort of ink to give it a watercolour effect on wood.








As I saw other areas you could apply Pyrography to, such as merchandise, souvenirs, jewels, accessories, I saw an area of opportunity open up for me. Lately I've been making my own jewellery and this gave me an idea to push them further. Here I have an example of a wooden one that I have done before:


So if I could get my hand on bigger wooden gogo beads, I could have a larger scale to illustrate onto using pyrography, which I could exhibit along with the box installations.

No comments:

Post a Comment